What causes and could actually treat KP?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    What causes and could actually treat KP?

    I put this together, it a bit long, but hopefully you understand your skin condition a bit better after reading this. Best of luck.

    Desquamation - The Definition of Desquamation

    One important part of the KP puzzle is cell turnover rate, which is know as "desquamation". This site says that the entire process of a new skin cell being "born", and sloughing off takes 28 days.

    Does this mean that when you try something new on your skin, the bare minimum that you should try it is 30 days?

    From my understanding of KP, 3 factors create the "bumps". One is that skin cells are not being exfoliated from your hair follicles at a normal rate, so they become lodged in your hair follicles, piling up, and geting larger and larger. The other part is that when these "bumps" are formed, hair becomes trapped underneath the skin, and cannot grow. The third is "hyperkeratinization".

    hyperkeratinization: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

    "Hyperkeratinization is a disorder of the cells lining the inside of a hair follicle. It is the normal function of these cells to detach or slough off (desquamate) from the skin lining at normal intervals. The dead cells are then forced out of the follicle (primarily by the growing hair). However, in hyperkeratinization, this process is interrupted and a number of these dead skin cells do not leave the follicle because of an excess of keratin, a natural protein found in the skin. This excess of keratin, which is influenced by genetics, results in an increased adherence/bonding of dead skin cells together. This cohesion of cells will block or "cap" the hair follicle (leading to keratosis pilaris) or clog the sebaceous/oil duct (leading to acne)."

    So the skin actually cannot shed normally, because of the hyperkeratinization. That's the cause. Even if you treat the result of KP (bumps, built up dead skin), it will always return until your body stops producing an excess amount of keratin.

    So what am I getting at here? I'm saying that a "cure" for KP has to do 2 things. It has to address what is causing the hyperkeratinization, and stop the process, so it doesn't return, AND/OR it has to break down keratin and the top layer of dead skin, before they can be reformed again.

    There's no happy ending here, I'm simply proposing what a KP "cure" would actually be. If what you're using doesn't do what's mentioned in the paragraph above, it wont treat your KP. Anything that's treated a person's KP has to have done one of those requirements to have worked.

    Note: Demodex mites were not taken into account. So little is known about these things, and how they affect different people, that it would be next to impossible for me to talk about them.
    Last edited by Chris89; 01-23-2008 at 02:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    2,935
    Likes
    3 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Chris,

    Thank you for your explanation. I have always felt that the cause of abnormal exfoliation and the cause of hyperkeratinization can vary from one person to the other. I think this may be true because different remedies help different people. Oil pulling helped me very much -- it reduced my KP by about 90% -- but it doesn't help everyone. So whatever oil pulling does -- remove oral bacteria and provide sublingual nutirents such as omega oils -- is what I needed, but not what everyone else needs for a KP cure. From this, I would conclude that I was either deficient in omega oils and/or had an overload or oral bacteria. (Oil pulling, by reducing oral bacteria, reduces bacteria absorbed in the mouth and carried throughout the body.)

    Getting demodex mites under control has also proved to be a KP remedy for some, but not for everyone. Therefore, we can conclude that demodex mites are one of many KP causes and demodex has its specific cure/remedy.

    This means that finding "one" cure may not be possible. There may be many.

    We encourage our readers here to try different remedies until they find one that helps them, and to try that remedy for at least 30 days to see if it is going to make a difference.

    kebod

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Quote Originally Posted by kebod View Post
    Chris,

    Thank you for your explanation. I have always felt that the cause of abnormal exfoliation and the cause of hyperkeratinization can vary from one person to the other. I think this may be true because different remedies help different people. Oil pulling helped me very much -- it reduced my KP by about 90% -- but it doesn't help everyone. So whatever oil pulling does -- remove oral bacteria and provide sublingual nutirents such as omega oils -- is what I needed, but not what everyone else needs for a KP cure. From this, I would conclude that I was either deficient in omega oils and/or had an overload or oral bacteria. (Oil pulling, by reducing oral bacteria, reduces bacteria absorbed in the mouth and carried throughout the body.)

    Getting demodex mites under control has also proved to be a KP remedy for some, but not for everyone. Therefore, we can conclude that demodex mites are one of many KP causes and demodex has its specific cure/remedy.

    This means that finding "one" cure may not be possible. There may be many.

    We encourage our readers here to try different remedies until they find one that helps them, and to try that remedy for at least 30 days to see if it is going to make a difference.

    kebod
    Good point, I didn't take the mites into account, though so little is known about that area that it would be very hard to break it down into what kills them, what they do, what symptoms they can actually cause, etc; because western doctors have done very little research on these mites- related to skin conditions.

  4. #4
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    2,935
    Likes
    3 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    You can learn about symptoms of demodex and treatment on Sir Duckles thread, "Sea Buckthorn Treatment Guide" under General Discussion. But demodex is only one of possibly several different causes.

    kebod

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    243
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Great post Chris. Put that way, KP doesn't seem so hard to conquer: remove more dead cells than is accumulated over a period of time and voila, no more KP.

    I agree, no matter what we do, we need to address the underlying cause of KP in order to rid ourselves of it permanently. I feel that cause is both the results of genetics and a weakened immune system. Unfortunely, you can't improve your immune system overnight, nor can you follow exactly someone else's regime to improve your own system, and it takes a lot of time and dedication to get everything working normally again. I started taking that approach, but I found it too hard and I went off track and started eating all kinds of junk and "unhealthy" food.

    In the meantime, though, i found that the most effective method (for me) to remove the dead cells and unclog the pores has been the use of AHA. No other treatment has given me results glycolic acid has. The problem is I don't want to rely on AHA my whole life and the bumps quickly come back after you stop its use ...

  6. #6
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    243
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    One other thing I'd like to point out is that the red, raised bumps are signs of infection, which are/may be caused by excess bacteria. Maybe that's why coconut oil, seabuckthorn oil, etc seem to work.

    So in essence, you can treat (not cure) KP by either unclogging the pores or preventing the infections.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4thebest View Post
    One other thing I'd like to point out is that the red, raised bumps are signs of infection, which are/may be caused by excess bacteria. Maybe that's why coconut oil, seabuckthorn oil, etc seem to work.

    So in essence, you can treat (not cure) KP by either unclogging the pores or preventing the infections.
    According to a site (that I can't post the link to), the redness is caused when a pore becomes blocked, and your body sends blood to it to "help". I'm not sure what to believe about the redness, but if your skin is exfoliated (with AHA) faster then it can become a problem (KP), pores will not become blocked, no infection, or inflammation will occur.

    As far as the cause goes. While it could be an immune system problem, or a health problem, the result is hyperkeratosis. Several things reportedly cause hyperkeratosis. Lack of vitamins/essential fatty acids/nutrients, allergies that aggravate organs that absorb nutrients, or maybe its just inherited and nothing we do can stop the hyperkeratosis. I recommend "KP'ers" get their allergy tests, and get tested for lactose intolerance AND for celiac disese (essentially an allergy to wheat products).

    I have hit a breakthrough part 2!!

    The fun part is that western medicine avoids "cures", and finding causes, they only treat results, so they have customers for life. If you wont take my word for it, I recommend a great book I'm reading by Kevin Trudeau. The name of the book is "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About".

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    81
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Kevin Trudeau is a scam. look him up, dateline ripped him apart.

  9. #9
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    243
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris89 View Post
    According to a site (that I can't post the link to), the redness is caused when a pore becomes blocked, and your body sends blood to it to "help". I'm not sure what to believe about the redness, but if your skin is exfoliated (with AHA) faster then it can become a problem (KP), pores will not become blocked, no infection, or inflammation will occur.
    Actually, we're both right. When oil and/or dead skin/keratin is trapped in the pores, bacteria normally found on the skin infiltrate, feed and breed inside the clogged hair follicles. As our body fights the bacteria, the skin becomes inflamed, and bumps appear.

    So, as I said, the best approach to treating KP is to unclog the pores, control bacteria and reduce inflammation.
    (actually, this is the approach to treating acne, but by now I know that it also applies to KP)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92
    Likes
    0 Received
    Likes
    0 Given

    Re: What causes and could actually treat KP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4thebest View Post
    Actually, we're both right. When oil and/or dead skin/keratin is trapped in the pores, bacteria normally found on the skin infiltrate, feed and breed inside the clogged hair follicles. As our body fights the bacteria, the skin becomes inflamed, and bumps appear.

    So, as I said, the best approach to treating KP is to unclog the pores, control bacteria and reduce inflammation.
    (actually, this is the approach to treating acne, but by now I know that it also applies to KP)
    This also explains acne medications, like Retin-A, working to improve KP on the face (which is usually mistaken as acne). I would not recommend Retin-A on the body, because 1 its so damn expensive, and it thins the skin. It would be very hard to apply to the body as well, and you would need to use a ton of it. Retinoids also are used to increase cell turnover rate, they do not break down layers of dead skin, like Glycolic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    In my opinion, a high percentage AHA lotion is about the best option for KP on the body, from the knowledge we currently have available. I can also say that for the KP on my face and chin, the retinoid gels help reduce the bumps, but the red and brown patches take 6 months+ to get rid of. Be patient with an AHA lotion on your body. It might get rid of the bumps, but the spots that are clogged deep with keratin and skin may take a LONG time to clear up, because Glycolic (as far as I know) sheds the top 2-3 layers of dead skin, therefore what's deep in the pore takes awhile to remove, because new keratin and skin is being deposited in your pores 24/7. I haven't tried Glycolic yet, but I'm going to experiment with it (face/body). I will make a Thread about my success on a later date. Probably 6 weeks from now. I will be sure to include before/after pics.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Ways To Treat KP:
    By TheShotOne in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM
  2. How should I treat this?
    By ohhnessa in forum Treatment Options
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM
  3. Do I have KP? Help, how should I treat it?
    By Shinra Tensei in forum Teen Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 08:56 PM
  4. How to treat KP from the inside out
    By Hope4thebest in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
  5. TREAT KP FROM THE INSIDE OUT
    By Archive in forum Old Forum Archives
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-14-2002, 12:00 AM
About KeratosisPilaris.org

Keratosis Pilaris is a very common benign genetic skin condition. KeratosisPilaris.org is the definitive resource for KP on the internet.

KP appears as rough or bumpy skin on the back and/or outer sides of your upper arms. The severity of the symptoms varies from person to person. You can also manifest it on the face as a natural blush (known as KPRF or Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii).

This community is composed primarily of KeratosisPilaris.org community members, but is also open for those interested in the topic.

Links
  • Link 1
  • Link 1
  • Link 1
  • Link 1
  • Link 1
  • Link 1
Follow Us
Get Involved
Our site is primarily run by voluntary editors and we are always on the look for committed people that can join the core editorial/moderator team to help us better manage the site. Get involved!